Skip to main content

His Story: His Calendar

Ahhh. What a fall it has been! The fall Feast Days have finished. Rosh Hashana (Day of Trumpets in the bible), Yom Kippur, and Feast of Booths (Sukkot). It was a busy time full of study and celebration.

It was beautiful. And I'm in awe at how my God is at work {read My Story here}.

This walk has taught us so very much

A little background - These are 3 of the "holidays" God commands His people to keep. They occur in the fall, starting on the first day of the seventh biblical month. It makes this seventh month a Sabbath month, full of times and appointed days to meet with God. My family and I have been doing our best over the last few years to learn about and honor these days.

And truly I have never understood my God more.

I'm not sure why it is but teachings on these days are non-existent in the Christian Church. But each of these set apart times points to Gods plan of redemption. The Spring is all about Yeshua's (Jesus' Hebrew name) first coming and the Fall is all about the second.

I've talked before about about Passover, First Fruits, and the Feast of Weeks---these days are all linked to the death and resurrection of Yeshua and the giving of the Holy Spirit. And by no accident each of these set apart dates coincide (exactly) with their fulfillment in our messiah. Talk about fulfilling prophecy.  We talk of virgin births and casting lots for His clothes when the most amazing fulfillment of any messianic prophecy came by Yeshua dying on Passover, rising from the dead on First Fruits (which is always the Sunday after Passover), and the Spirit of God descending on His people on Pentecost (the Greek name for Shavuot--The feast of weeks). Since the time of Israel living in the desert, they had been counting 50 days from First Fruits to Shavuot. Shavuot is also the day Rabbis say the commands were given to the people at Mount Sinai. The law of God and the Spirit of God given on the same day? It seems so strange to me I've never heard that from a pulpit.


But that's not the end of the Salvation story, is it?
We believe there is more to come, don't we?

We believe our Messiah will return to set up heaven on earth. We believe He'll come riding on the clouds at the trumpet blast. We believe the dead will be resurrected and He will be our judge and our king. He'll wipe every tear and there will peace. He will gather us to Himself.

Knowing what we know about the Spring Feasts and should be no surprise God has already set aside days to point to our returning Savior. The Fall Feasts. The High Holidays. The Day of Trumpets, Yom Kippur--The Day of Atonement, and Sukkot, The Feast of Tabernacles.

1 Corinthians 15:32 At the trumpet blast the dead will rise and we will be changed...

So the day, Yom Teruah, The Day of the blowing of the Trumpet, (known to many as Rosh Hashanna--the name change to Rosh Hashanna was a whole tradition that got it's start in Babylon...more on that later), this is very same day is when we look forward to Yeshua's return.



10 days after the trumpets and shouting we get to Yom Kippur. This day is the day of Atonement. These 10 days between the 2 feasts have always been a time to wake up to turn to Him, to not let this chance of repentance slip by. It's the day a couple millenia ago and since the time of Moses the priests would send a goat out Israel. It was the "scapegoat" which the sins of the people were placed upon. It was a physical example of the spiritual removal of sins by the grace and mercy of God. And it points forward. This is the day Yeshua will close the Lamb's book of life. His own people's names are written there. Those who chose another way are not. The sins of His people were placed upon Him. He makes the atonement. He is the scapegoat. He is the Bride groom who died to set His bride free.



And that brings us to the most joyful set apart time on His Calendar: Sukkot. Sukkot basically means tent. It's a word for a small dwelling place. The command is to make these small "tabernacles" and "live" in them for a week. It reminds us of God dwelling with His people in the dessert, how He took care of their every need. How He still does. And this day points to the time we'll get to live with Him again. It's the Wedding Feast. It's a week long party celebrating the Bridegroom being with His Bride. Oh what a party it will be. And when we look at dates in scripture we can see Yeshua (Jesus) was born during these fall Feasts. During Sukkot.  God was made flesh and he came to dwell with us.   


So this fall we built a booth. We built to remember. We built to give thanks. We build and celebrate to teach and share His beautiful plan with those around us. 


So wow. I'm so very excited to be learning of these dress rehearsals. These holy days are practice runs until the real things get here. So why would we not hear of these things in our churches? What has been hidden from us all this time? Why make the decision that these things were for another group of people and not for us?

I'm in that book of Life. I'm one of His. These days are to me get ready to meet my King face to face.

Do you want to be ready?

Getting on our Creator's Calendar is a very good place to start.


More on Yom Teruah 
More on Sukkot and here.


{I've been telling bits and pieces of this Story. It's the story of My God and how He's nudged my heart to dive into deeper. There's no real order to the story. I'm just telling it as it comes, as He lays it on my heart. Read the other entries here if you'd like---His Story ~ Rockets, Riots and ReturningHis Story ~ Tisha B' AvHis Story ~ My Story; His Story ~ Perspective}




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Harsh World, The Butterfly Effect and The End of the Story

These last few weeks have been hard to process. I feel overwhelmed with the realities of this world. The reality that this is a hard and sad, broken place. The shootings in Aurora, the continued genocide in Zimbabwe , the attacks on men standing firm in what they believe , the selling of people and the list can go on and on. I strongly believe with all that I am that we serve a Good and Merciful God. And yet in times like this I can doubt and question where is His goodness when we need it most. I'll never cease to be amazed at how my God answers me. It was all over everywhere. As I questioned and shook my fists and asked "why?" and " how could you let this be?", He gently answered me over and over again .  As I asked these questions with tears in my eyes, He reminded me of the book I had finished on the beach a few weeks ago. This man full of God given wisdom wrote: There is but one good; that is God. Everything else is good when it looks to Him and

Utterances of God

I struggle some times. I struggle with keeping it together. I struggle with keeping calm when emotions run high. When I feel things are beyond my control, I tend to come apart. My perspective gets all warped. I don't see the grace, the good. My words begin to match how I feel, spiraling and frustrated. I tend to say things I truly don't mean. Harsh things. Mean things. And then the guilt sets in. That guilt grips me and I so regret it all. I'm struggling with my mouth and self control and then I read this...   1 Peter 4:10  Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.   Let him speak the utterances of God.The utterances of God. And Whoever serves, let him do it with the strength that God supplies. Why?  So in all things God may be glorified.  Speak