Skip to main content

Why I love Winter

It's a new year. The Christmas craziness has finally settled down. It's the start of those 3 winter months where not much is happening. As I think about it I realize I really like winter. From December 21st to March 20th. I kind of love it. Both my kids have winter birthdays. Christmas is such a fun way to start the season (and by the time winter actually starts most of the stressful parts of Christmas are done). I love to bake and to feed people and for some reason that is just so much more fun when it's cold. And snow. How beautiful the whole world looks just after a snow storm. I also get to focus on my kids: teaching them, mothering them, reading great stories under cozy blankets, making lots of hot chocolate and pancakes and waffles and gearing up for the occasional snowy sledding outing. We play lots of board games. We make a lot of educational progress during these months. It's cold so I don't have to compete with long park days or swimming pools. There is no big holiday so there are few errands.

Winter is bare and sleepy. It's cold. It's dark but throughout the season the light slowly returns. The long nights give way to more and more sunshine. Before the season ends we usually see some signs of life poking through the frosty ground. Winter gives us a hope we wouldn't need if there was never this chill in the air. How easily we would forget the different hues of green the grass becomes or just how pretty all the tulips look as they bloom if they never left us. It's His reminder to us that He makes all things new, that death dos not get the final word. He will make it all beautiful again.

I've said it before, I love living according to nature, according to God's creation, His time table. Taking the time to be busy at home now gives us the ability to be more carefree as the ground thaws. Seeing His message to us through these seasons reminds me how close He is. I love that about winter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Harsh World, The Butterfly Effect and The End of the Story

These last few weeks have been hard to process. I feel overwhelmed with the realities of this world. The reality that this is a hard and sad, broken place. The shootings in Aurora, the continued genocide in Zimbabwe , the attacks on men standing firm in what they believe , the selling of people and the list can go on and on. I strongly believe with all that I am that we serve a Good and Merciful God. And yet in times like this I can doubt and question where is His goodness when we need it most. I'll never cease to be amazed at how my God answers me. It was all over everywhere. As I questioned and shook my fists and asked "why?" and " how could you let this be?", He gently answered me over and over again .  As I asked these questions with tears in my eyes, He reminded me of the book I had finished on the beach a few weeks ago. This man full of God given wisdom wrote: There is but one good; that is God. Everything else is good when it looks to Him and

Utterances of God

I struggle some times. I struggle with keeping it together. I struggle with keeping calm when emotions run high. When I feel things are beyond my control, I tend to come apart. My perspective gets all warped. I don't see the grace, the good. My words begin to match how I feel, spiraling and frustrated. I tend to say things I truly don't mean. Harsh things. Mean things. And then the guilt sets in. That guilt grips me and I so regret it all. I'm struggling with my mouth and self control and then I read this...   1 Peter 4:10  Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.   Let him speak the utterances of God.The utterances of God. And Whoever serves, let him do it with the strength that God supplies. Why?  So in all things God may be glorified.  Speak