Skip to main content

All We Need is Love

I'm a nurse. I see families at their very worst. I see parents who go on each day watching their children cope with illness, injury, pain and heartache. Most of the time I remember how sacred my job is: to bear witness and be a part of the process of healing, but there are sometimes that I forget. Sometimes I forget and it becomes a job to quickly finish, a task to complete, an annoyance to complain about. It doesn't happen often but when it does I am thankful for the nudge I get in my heart that reminds me "these are My children you care for".

But more than I'm a nurse I am a mom, a wife, sister, a daughter and a friend. These people I encounter on a daily basis are His children too. All of them, not just the really well behaved ones, not just the church-going, verse-quoting ones, but ALL of them. Even the ones who are being hurtful, causing me pain; even the ones that seem to just not get it.

"Love your neighbor as yourself" Jesus said. This commandment is second only to loving God with everything you are. Jesus felt this was important. He was expounding on an answer to a question, a question that wasn't even asked. The Pharisee asked what the GREATEST commandment was. Jesus could have stopped there, stopped after the loving God part, (the private, invisible relationship part). That would have answered the question. BUT He doesn't stop there. (All you works vs. relationship people: no need to continue the debate. It's both: works follow relationship. So move on). Jesus did go on to say how you treat others matters! The work you put into relationships with others is second only to your relationship with God. (not tithing or church going or hair cuts or dress length). It matters so much that it's the second greatest commandment. An answer to a question that nobody asked. An answer He knew they needed hear.

How is it then that we can tend to forget? When we are annoyed at the teenage attitude, when we harbor resentment towards an inconsiderate spouse, when we judge others for how they worship, when we gossip about what she said, when we condemn him for what he did....did we forget? Turn the other cheek, the Golden Rule, these are Jesus' words. We all know them, yet still, we forget.

Love God in all you do. Love others right where they are. This is the answer to all the Law and Prophets. My prayer is that I always remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Harsh World, The Butterfly Effect and The End of the Story

These last few weeks have been hard to process. I feel overwhelmed with the realities of this world. The reality that this is a hard and sad, broken place. The shootings in Aurora, the continued genocide in Zimbabwe , the attacks on men standing firm in what they believe , the selling of people and the list can go on and on. I strongly believe with all that I am that we serve a Good and Merciful God. And yet in times like this I can doubt and question where is His goodness when we need it most. I'll never cease to be amazed at how my God answers me. It was all over everywhere. As I questioned and shook my fists and asked "why?" and " how could you let this be?", He gently answered me over and over again .  As I asked these questions with tears in my eyes, He reminded me of the book I had finished on the beach a few weeks ago. This man full of God given wisdom wrote: There is but one good; that is God. Everything else is good when it looks to Him and

Utterances of God

I struggle some times. I struggle with keeping it together. I struggle with keeping calm when emotions run high. When I feel things are beyond my control, I tend to come apart. My perspective gets all warped. I don't see the grace, the good. My words begin to match how I feel, spiraling and frustrated. I tend to say things I truly don't mean. Harsh things. Mean things. And then the guilt sets in. That guilt grips me and I so regret it all. I'm struggling with my mouth and self control and then I read this...   1 Peter 4:10  Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.   Let him speak the utterances of God.The utterances of God. And Whoever serves, let him do it with the strength that God supplies. Why?  So in all things God may be glorified.  Speak